Thursday, October 8, 2009

A little catch up

Life gets busy and I do everything online but update this blog. I'll lay in bed at night and write wonderfully witty and insightful blog posts in my mind and forget everything I 'wrote' the next day. So here is a little catch up on what has been happening in our lives.

In no particular order...

Isaiah has qualified for free speech therapy through the county. He is behind in articulation, meaning that his number of words and comprehension are normal for his age but the amount of words others can understand him say is very low. The therapy sessions should start in about 2 weeks. It's funny because the speech therapist who evaluated him says that the mistakes he makes are very unusual and he makes different mistakes on the same sounds in different words. Example he can very clearly say Papa but will use a B sound with other P words and he does some form of this for many sounds. I have been greatly encouraged by how quickly his vocabulary has grown since he had surgery in August. He has also ventured into potty train mode. He does great during the day at home with almost no accidents.

Susannah has just been going along with the flow of things. I've found her dancing on the coffee table, climbing up the outside of the stairs by holding on to the banister and she figures out how to get the lock off the sink cabinet. Her big adventure has been surgery to repair a urachal cyst and close off a tube that ran from her bladder to belly button. Not that any of this bothered her much but she had reoccurring bouts of drainage and redness in her belly button that finally got our attention. She handled the surgery very well and was back to climbing and running the same day.

As a family we traveled to Montana a few weeks ago to visit with Peter's mom. She has been battling ovarian cancer for the past eight years and is losing the battle. She is quickly going down hill and we are expecting that during our Thanksgiving family reunion we will also hold a memorial service for her. Watching a family member this close to us die is a new thing. We both are going through different stages of grief and emotions. We have a peace that one day we will see her again in Heaven and this will be a end to her earthly suffering. But it's hard. Isaiah and Susannah will have few to any memories of her and she never hold and future kids in her arms. She has so blessed all our lives. I am searching for airline tickets to send Peter back up there in about 2 weeks. It is important for him to send this time with her.

I have been busy getting settled into a routine here. I am attending a Woman's Bible study on Tuesday mornings and the kids get some much needed interaction with their age group. Also there is a MOPS group I am hoping to try out next week. I'm excited to take the kids out to a farm to pick pumpkins and go for a hay ride this month and a possible trip to the zoo in Columbia soon to.

Okay so there is a long summary of what is going on around here. I'll try to get some photos up soon. I have some great pictures from camping in Georgia and the beach. So I'll be back soon, I Promise.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, I enjoyed reading your update.
    We've been praying for you and Peter and his Mom.

    ReplyDelete