Thursday, August 20, 2009

Do you know what adeniods are?

Well Isaiah is soon to lose his. From what I understand they are little clumps of lymph cell that grow in the back of the nose and affect how well you can breath. In Isaiah's case he has obstructive sleep apnea and speech problems that can be helped by removal of the adenoids. Now, his Dad and Gigi (grandma) both have sleep apnea so I'm sensing a pattern here. From what I've been reading this can cause many problems with attention disorders and behavior as they progress through school. Mainly from lack of sleep. With apnea they are continually waking themselves up at night by not being able to breath or snoring. So during the day they are tired and irritable. They also breath through their mouth all the time. I had never even considered sleep apnea a child's problem but we are so glad to be catching it early. Funnily enough Peter is going to the doctor in the next week to be treated for sleep apnea as well. Yeah no more snoring at night;)

Isaiah is also going to have tubes put in his ears during the surgery to help his hearing. Apparently his ear drums are to sunken to allow him to hear properly. The doctor said he has about 15-20% hearing loss as of now. Between inserting tubes and removing the adenoids this should help him regain his hearing.

Next on the list is to get his speech problems checked out and have some speech therapy started. We started to notice problems when we moved back from Asia and now many people have commented on how hard it is to understand him. This is an important thing for us to work on before we move again and expose him to yet another language.

Pray for this little dude as he faces lots of Doctors and a quick recovery from surgery next Tuesday. Also pray that we'll be placed with just the right speech therapist who will be able to accurately assess Isaiah's problems and plan the correct program to help him improve his speech.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm very familiar with this surgery as I had it done when I was six years old. Adenoids, tubes, and tonsils! Best of luck you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, I hope the surgery went well. I've enjoyed keeping up with you guys through the blog.
    I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Kreativ Blog award. Check out my blog to see what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete